Monday, June 11, 2012

Berlin / Last Week in Milano

Last week I spent 4 days in Berlin with my friend Ale, and as we were returning on Friday, I suddenly realized I had exactly three weeks left in Europe. I panicked, also because only half of those three weeks will be spent here in Milano; next Thursday, June 21, I leave for a week in England, and when I return to Milano I'll have only one day before my final departure. All of a sudden I have no time left, and yet there are so many things to do, so many people to see... Yesterday I stayed home and finished packing my huge box that I'll be mailing home later today. I also made a list of things to get done before leaving, and it was quite long. It remains a mystery to me as to how I'll complete everything in time. How is it possible that I have only 18 days left?

Anywho. Berlin. I loved it. The spirit of the city was completely different than those of Milano and Paris; whereas the latter two are somewhat snobby, Berlin is a city of young people who are looking to start their careers, artistically or otherwise. It was extremely cheap, and there were always cultural events happening everywhere. I was also fascinated by the history of the city, especially the period of the Wall. At some point Ale and I visited the DDR Museum, which documents through hands-on interaction how life was in East Germany. Truly interesting. And of course we saw the typical sights such as the Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, Berliner Fernsehturm, Bundestag, Tiergarten, Holocaust Memorial, and the Berlin Zoo, among others. It was a wonderful taste of the city and of Germany in general.
Fernsehturm in Alexanderplatz (we took the elevator to the top)
Me as JFK as a Berliner 
West German jeans (left) and East German jeans (right)
Ale in front of the Bundestag
Holocaust Memorial 
Brandenburg Gate
one of the few remaining sections of the Berlin Wall
And now everything is ending as summer arrives. Several dear friends have already returned home to their respective countries. Summer is heating up the city and everyone is sweating. The remaining students are constantly organizing aperitivos in order to make the most out of our precious time together. A year ago I was at the Outbound Camp, all excited for what was to come in my exchange year, and I remember that period very well. And now, somehow, I have already finished the year. It's the strangest thing I've ever had to comprehend. Where did my time go? Before springtime, the months dragged on as we endured the winter. Ever since April, however, the time has slipped through my fingers and I can't take it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment