Sunday, October 9, 2011

Teatro, Piano, Aperitivo, Duomo

This past week since Cinque Terre has been full of firsts! Before everything else, I must say that summer has finally ended. Although that technically happened three weeks ago, we had our first legitimately cold day last Saturday. I have officially forgotten about wearing shorts and have started to contemplate wintry outfits/accessories. Anyways. On Tuesday, I went to my first theatre class, which turned out to be more PE than theatre. But I think it was just because the class had just started, and we are beginning with the basics. I return this Tuesday for the next class. In total there are 20 lessons, one a week for the next five months (ending in February/early March I'm guessing). At the end we will produce a show of some sort, although it's not clear which type at this point. Speaking of theatre, the musical Sister Act is opening soon in Milano, and it will run through the end of November. Judging from my love of the movies, I'll most likely be going to the musical. Actually, on the way home from school the other day, I noticed some nuns in convertibles. All of a sudden they started singing and driving through the streets! Then I saw the "Sister Act" logo on the cars and realized they were only actresses. haha. But it was still a funny sight. I never have my camera when I need it. -.-

Anywho. On Friday only half of my class showed up to school, and the teacher was nowhere to be found. Then we realized that a "manifestazione" was happening that day. This is a type of intense political rally that happens every month or so, depending on how angry the public is at the government (and by the government I mean Berlusconi). Soooo, we got to go home early and that was a nice surprise. But in the afternoon I had to return to school for a meeting with my new piano teacher. Turns out that it was my first lesson, not just a meeting, and I felt extremely unprepared after 4 years of no lessons. It's only "complementary" piano, which all students have to take, but it's still intimidating. I'm in for a fun year. And since there isn't a piano in my host home, I now have to stay after school every day to practice, which means I won't get lunch until 3/3:30ish, which means I'll have to go to the gym at 5ish when there are tons of people there (and I hate the gym when it's crowded). But I am learning that a fundamental part of exchange is sacrifice. There is rarely a time when everything is going to work out perfectly; for example, if I'm faced with three things I want to do, usually I'll have to choose the least important one to throw out. But as I adjust to this way of life, I like to think that such sacrifices become a little bit easier to handle.

On Friday night I was invited to my friend Francesca's house for an aperitivo, along with Milly and Marco. Francesca lived in Starkville for her exchange 2 years ago, and she lives very close to me in Milano. Small world, right? This was the second time for me to visit her house, and it was a fun time. On Saturday afternoon I headed up to school to practice piano, and afterwards some school friends joined me at Arco della Pace (down the street from my house) for an aperitivo at this cool Indian restaurant. (The manifestazione was winding down nearby, so I saw my first one of those as well!) We spoke in almost all Italian and walked around the Arco area after, which is a very popular spot for nightlife. We didn't even do anything in particular after eating, but it was a wonderful night since I got to spend time with school friends and laugh with them about anything and everything. :D
school friends :)
Today is Sunday and some exchange kids in Milano met up at the Duomo for an afternoon downtown. We each had something in mind to pick up at a store (for me, a scarf; for others, gloves and jeans) but none of us was successful in our search. Regardless, it was nice to see everyone. Also, we entered Il Duomo for the first time, and the inside of the cathedral is INDESCRIBABLY beautiful. The outside is ornate and intricate, but the inside is sooooo much better!!!!! I think my jaw must have dropped to the floor the entire time we were there. Of course, I didn't have my camera, but next time I will take so many pictures (not that they will do it justice). The vaulted ceiling was so impossibly high, and the artwork and statuary everywhere were incredible.

This week will see me attending another Italian lesson with exchangers (Monday), my second theatre class (Tuesday), a possible trip to Lecco (Wednesday), and my second piano lesson (Friday). With each day infused with gym workouts and piano practice as well. I realize that my English skills are weakening with each blog post....when I read back through a post, it seems all over the place, with no organization. I apologize for this and hope that it doesn't bother you too much because I don't think it's going to change anytime soon. :) Okay it's time for bed here in Milano. Just took our dog out for a walk and now I'm ready for a full day tomorrow! Buonanotte.

No comments:

Post a Comment