Saturday, September 17, 2011

La Scala and Rotary Trips

Although my first day of school was rather terrible, school in general has improved significantly. I still don't understand most of what the teachers are saying, so in classes such as History, Philosophy, and Italian, I just sit there and look up new words that I am hearing. My English class is actually an English literature class, so I am now being forced to read Macbeth by next week and then take a test comparing it to Hamlet, which I read last year. Needless to say, I no longer look forward to that class. As in the rest of Italy, you stay with the same group of kids all day in the same classroom, and the different teachers rotate from class to class. This is convenient for the kids, but sitting for virtually 6 hours straight with only one 10 minute break gets pretty boring.


Two nights ago there was a Rotary gathering for all the inbound students and the old outbounds from last year. It was at this chill little bar (Bar Bianco) in the middle of Parco Sempione, which is the huge (and beautiful) park right next to our flat. It was so much fun! I got to meet a ton of people and exchange business cards properly for the first time, haha. I was sad when we had to go home.

Bar Bianco
We also received a schedule of Rotary trips/events throughout the year. In chronological order: Cinque Terre (end of Sep. and orientation will happen there); cruise from La Spezia to Elba (Nov.); Christmas Party; Venezia for CARNIVALE!!! (Feb.); Cremona (March); and then the amazing week-long tour of Napoli, Sorrento, and Roma (April); and finally a mountain retreat in May near the Swiss border. I think it goes without saying that I am pretty darn excited for these events. :D

Last night my class got free tickets to see an opera at La Scala. As in, THE La Scala of world-renowned fame. CRAZY RIGHT? In my second week!!!!!!! The opera was Il ritorno di Ulisse in patria, and it was more than 3 hours long. So. Incredibly. Boring. But some friends and I had a box so at least I got to spend time with them outside of school! Unfortunately many kids in my class live outside Milano so it's more difficult to coordinate with them on the weekends or whenever. But hopefully it'll be okay throughout the year.

This afternoon there was the first official Rotary meeting of the district. All host families, current and future, were invited to learn more about technical details of exchange. It wasn't the most interesting thing in the world but thankfully it didn't last very long. Tonight I originally had plans to go for aperitivi with friends and then the disco, but a storm rolled in recently and cancelled all plans because the kids outside of Milano couldn't make it. So now I'm staying home on a Saturday, which isn't terrible but I wanted to take advantage of a non-school night. Oh well. I have the rest of the year I suppose. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment