Sunday, August 28, 2011

One Week

Whoo! As I write this blog post, Hurricane Irene is bearing down on the East Coast, about to strike Virginia. In fact I may not have electricity for much longer. This whole earthquake-and-hurricane-in-the-same-week thing is quite annoying, and I wish I could just live my last week in the US in peace. But no. Mother Nature has other plans in store for me. =P

This past week was pretty boring (besides the hurri-quake), but I did get some things done. First was making copies of all my vital paperwork, as I recently learned that I must carry these copies on me when I enter Italy because the Border Authority can ask to see them at any time. Next I tried to figure out my packing situation. My friends who are now in France warned me against taking too many bags, and at the time I was planning on bringing two checked bags and one carry-on. So then I planned to take only one checked bag, but my mom just convinced me to take the second checked bag so I'll be able to take more host family gifts with me. Eeek. I just don't want to take three bags when I could really get by with only two. We shall have to see how this plays out.

On Tuesday there was a 5.9 earthquake which was felt from Georgia all the way up the East Coast to Canada. The epicenter was 20 miles away from where we live. haha. It was fun as I've never experienced an earthquake before, and thankfully no one was hurt. There were several aftershocks as well.

Today my mom, McKay, and I drove to Charlottesville to visit the University of Virginia, aka UVA. It's my next-to-last college visit, and I was anxious to see if I would fall in love with this school. Unfortunately the pre-hurricane weather dampened our visit (literally) but we got to visit two friends also from Starkville, Ida and Stevie! After the tour we all had lunch and it was grand. The school itself is fabulous (#2 in the country for public universities) but I don't know if it's right for me. I just didn't feel right while there. But again, who knows what will happen with the college situation. This week I have also been writing college essays to avoid doing them while in Italy. But back to today: We got back home only about an hour ago, and we're preparing for the intense weather which will hit in a few hours and last all night. I may not have electricity for awhile, but I guess we'll survive.

I also made a list of things I still need to buy before departure, many of which I did not know I needed until this week. This list includes toiletries and snacks as well as a few more clothes that my sister Wheeler will bring me when she visits on Friday before I leave.

Did I mention that I have ONE WEEK?! I woke up this morning and I was like one week? One week....OMG ONE WEEK!!! It's almost here. This week I will be going around saying "Last Monday.....Last Thursday......Last meal....." haha it sounds like I'm dying. But as my friend Austin put it, our date of departure is like the death of one huge chapter of our lives, and the birth of another greater and yet unknown chapter. It's rather scary to think about, but I can't help but get excited at the thought of starting over. However, this week I have been trying to comprehend that I'll be gone.....for a year.....but I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that it won't hit me until I'm in Europe, maybe not even until a few weeks after I'm there. No use dwelling on that now.

On Saturday morning I will drop by my youngest host bro Luca's house in northern VA (located conveniently on the way to the DC airport), as he is now there on his exchange year in the US. It will be a fun little brunch before we continue on to the airport and I finally depart. Alright, this post needs to end. 6 days, 22 hours, 27 minutes, 50 seconds!


No comments:

Post a Comment